Saturday, December 5, 2009

SOUND FOUNDATION



I was reading Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit by Terri Maxwell and in there she recommends having a Bible verse to dedicate to your homeschool. She advises listening to the Lord and letting Him guide you to just the right one.

Never did I expect to have Him speak to me so quickly. No sooner had I read her suggestion, and applied my heart to listening, than there it was!

Luke 9:23
"And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross DAILY (emphasis mine), and follow me"

You will notice that in the above verse I placed particular emphasis on the word DAILY. I have heard and read this verse many times, but somehow never took notice of that word before. For some reason, when the Lord brought this verse to me, that word jumped out at me and spoke to my heart.

Now, you may be thinking- Andrea, this can not be any great revelation, of course He means DAILY!!- Well, yes, in some respect it was. Maybe it is because I tend to be a long term thinker, always seeing the end result. When I plan my "school" I tend to not think "daily", but weekly. When I plan menus, it tends to be monthly. The same with just about everything.

When I thought about that verse in relation to our homeschool, it was like the sun shone on me. I need to take that cross DAILY.

NOW WAIT! Do I see our homeschool as a cross to bear? No, not normally (though there are those days). :) I guess this spoke to me so much because it is a reminder that sometimes I need to take my eyes off the long term and see the NOW, the daily. When I don't want to, when I don't feel like it, when I'm tired or even when I don't know what to do next.

It's about so much more than schooling. It is about making it a daily habit to saturate myself and my kiddos in seeking after spiritual wisdom, first and foremost, that will (prayerfully) produce good fruit.

Am I saying that you should not think or plan long term? No, like the ant, the Lord wants us to be prepared for things to come. But, not at the expense of today.

If the Lord came today, what would all those long term plans matter?

When this day ends, let me rest in the assurance that I took up my cross and followed my Lord, NOT with the worry as to how I would get it accomplished tomorrow.

BLESSINGS!

No comments: