Monday, August 27, 2007

OUR FIRST NATURE STUDY

Hello!
Well, we have begun our weekly nature studies. This last Saturday my hubby took us to a local park like habitat for our first outing. It was a lot of fun. We saw fish and frogs, dragonflies and beetles and spiders. It is an interesting thing, I have always looked at spiders as a yucky sort of creepy crawly when I find them in my house, but when you look at them in nature as another one of God's creations doing what they do they can be pretty interesting. LOL I still refuse to pick one up though. :) I think that the most memorable moment (beyond watching my children run around trying to show me fifty things at once and having a blast) was that we saw a huge hawks nest on top of a big light pole. Well, sitting on a tree branch not too far away was one of the pair of hawks. Suddenly it let up a screech and flew to the nest. We noticed that it was apparently carrying dinner. That is also when we realized that there was hatched babies in the nest. It landed and began to feed them and in moments the mate came in and landed there too. It was just so amazing to watch these two parents working together to care for their babies. Then, after a while one flew off and the second went back to her (his) branch over the pond. We picked wild blackberries and my son found a four leaf clover before we left. A truly awesome day. This is why I homeschool, to be with my kids like that. :)

1 comment:

jesnicole said...

THAT IS SUCH A SWEET POST! :) YES, I AGREE. I CAN'T STAND BUGS. BUT WHEN I SEE DYLAN BECOME FASCINATED WITH THEM, I SEE THEM IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT!